Monday, September 28, 2009

Suzy’s First Road Trip

We have had our dog Suzy for almost three years, yet never had the opportunity to take her on a road trip. Besides going to the vet she was only in the car on one other occasion to see how she would do, and she threw up that time. My sister called on Sunday Sept 13th to let me know that my Dad was not able to move and was taken to the ER by ambulance. They found that he had an infection, gave him some antibiotics and released him. The next day my step mother ended up getting him back to the ER because he was much worse and he was admitted to the hospital. By the evening of the 14th things were not looking good and my husband and I decided that we had better

head up to be with him.

On Tuesday I bought a harness for Suzy to keep her safe in the seat. My husband Don tried to get her fitted and ready for the trip and she would have nothing to do with it. He tried to talk me out of taking her, but I just couldn’t leave her at home when I didn’t know how long we were going to be gone. I told him I would give her herbs and she would be fine. So very early on the 16th I gave her a Ginger capsule for the nausea and a Relax-Eze capsule for the hyperness. I could not believe how great she was, usually she would jump from seat to seat, but most of the trip she just slept on the floor, occasionally looking out the window. The trip took 12 1/2 hours to get there due to traffic problems and was a joy the whole way.

We ended up staying until the morning of the 26th, my Dad was released to a Rehabilitation Center on the 23rd which amazed me because I really thought he wasn’t going to make it. During most of our time in Washington we worked on fixing up his house so that it can be sold and move into something smaller. We worked very hard for about 12 hours a day and all I can say is thank goodness for Kava Kava. Both my husband and I have issues with our back & neck when we overwork. We took the Kava Kava at night and woke up in the morning with no stiff muscles. We also added Spirulina to our regular herbs that we take, Spirulina is a great super

food and has always given me energy.

On the 26th we went over to the rehabilitation center to say goodbye to my Dad. Don was going to keep Suzy outside while I went in for a minute. Suzy bolted for the door and ran in, so I asked if it was ok for her to be there and they said yes. We ran her down to my Dad’s room and he was quite happy to see her. On the way out I remembered that I had forgotten to give Suzy her herbs. They had some food on trays, so I put a small amount of scrambled eggs into a napkin to put the capsules in. She would not eat them, Don sniffed the eggs and said they smelled powdered. I went back into the center and got a packet of margarine and dipped the capsules in that. Suzy still would have nothing to do with it, she knows real butter from the imitation. Don ended up pushing them down her throat and holding her mouth closed until she swallowed. We headed back to Utah. Suzy was a bit hyper for about 15 minutes until the capsules took effect and was again docile for the entire trip.

Thank you for your patience while I was gone. I am now able to take phone orders at 801-701-9923.


1 comment:

  1. Kathryn,

    I love this story, Suzy is such a good dog. Glad your Dad is doing better.

    Herbs are amazing, I am looking forward to getting off my medications (even though I just got on them and they ARE helping get my blood sugars down)for the diabetes. I know herbs are good healers and I wish I had continued using golden seal (my backdoor neighbor told me it was a natural insulin)my Mom use to have me take it and I took some for awhile after I got married then I stopped. Oh well, live and learn.

    You are such an amazing lady and Don too is a great man. Not everyone would go help with their Dad, I know you are in a situation so you can, but many still don't even though they could, so KUDO's (sp) for you guys.

    ReplyDelete