The bulk herbs are 5% off in December. I tend to stock up on a few each time. This time of year a great one to get is Elder Berry! Elder Berry has a history of fighting infections including influenza, herpes, viral infections and bacterial infections. Use it to make a great tasting extract that everyone in your family will love. Extracts are easy to make and alcohol extracts last years if stored in a cool dark place. Elder Berry is also available in bulk, extract and capsules, scroll down a bit to see the choices on the link.
1/2 cup dried Elder Berries
- 3 cups distilled water
- 1 cup honey
- Place the berries in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring just to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer over low heat for 30-45 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat.Smash the elderberries using a potato masher.
- Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer.
- Stir in 1 cup of honey (or more or less to your taste).
- Bottle the syrup in a glass jar and store in the refrigerator, keeps for 3 months.
I would purchase a full pound of the Elder Berry and make a batch of syrup and use the rest to make an alcohol extract. The alcohol can always be simmered off later and add honey or glycerine to sweeten. The extract will last years if stored in a cool dark place.
Now is the time to stock up on your winter needs. Order online at Herbs First or call 801-228-1901 to place your order today!
Have a great month!